Our History

Prior to the Second World War in 1939, discussions were held in the then Salisbury Chambers of Commerce and Industry on the need for some form of medical aid insurance for employees in the private sector.

The municipalities of the two major towns of Salisbury (Harare) and Bulawayo had also introduced medical aid benefit funds. The Chambers of Commerce and Industry felt there was a need for a medical aid society, or mutual benefit fund, that catered for the employees in the private sector as well. The advent of the Second World War delayed the start of the operations of the proposed society until the 1st of October 1945, when the Commercial and Industrial Medical Aid Society opened its doors for business, and has been going and growing stronger every year since.